This Virtual Training Services (VTS) offering on configuring Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) is an educational session that includes lecture by a Cisco subject matter expert and hands-on practice exercises on MPLS. This session provides you with the knowledge and skills to deploy, operate, and maintain MPLS and MPLS-based services in an Internet service provider (ISP) backbone network. You will learn the primary principles of MPLS that are used in very large networks. Hands-on labs reinforce the lecture materials to make sure that you have the working skills to affect the networks you support. This session consists of two primary lessons and one of two optional lessons that may be chosen at the time of registration.
- Virtual classroom offering: two days, six hours a day.
Upon completing this course, the learner will be able to meet these overall objectives:
- Primary lesson objectives:
- Implement and verify MPLS functionality in a large-scale network
- Implement and verify MPLS VPN connectivity in intra-autonomous-system environments
- Optional lesson objectives:
- Implement and verify MPLS traffic engineering practices
- Implement Layer 2 VPNs using Any Transport over MPLS (AToM)
The session outline is as follows:
- Session Introduction
- Implement and Troubleshoot MPLS
- Implement Intranet and Extranet MPLS VPNs
- Optional lessons (select one):
- Implement MPLS Traffic Engineering
- Implement Layer 2 VPNs with AToM
The lab outline is as follows:
- Connect to the Lab Equipment
- The purpose of this lab is to gain access to the lab devices for later lab exercises.
- Configure and Verify MPLS
- The purpose of this lab exercise is to implement and verify MPLS functionality into an
- existing network.
- Configure Intranet MPLS VPNs
- The purpose of this lab exercise is to implement MPLS VPNs into an existing network.
- Configure Extranet MPLS VPNs
- The purpose of this lab is to implement an Extranet MPLS VPN to share selected routing information with multiple VPNs, such as in a management LAN or with a partner company.
- Configure and Verify MPLS Traffic Engineering (MPLS-TE) (if Implement MPLS Traffic Engineering is selected)
- The purpose of this lab exercise is to implement Intra-area MPLS-TE tunnels for desired traffic flows.
- Implement, Verify, and Troubleshoot EoMPLS (if Implement Layer 2 VPNs with ATOM is selected)
- The purpose of this lab exercise is to implement and verify point-to-point emulated wire services (EWS) using EoMPLS functionality.
- This session is intended for network professionals, including designers, implementers, and support staff involved with design and deployment of large-scale networks for large enterprises or high-end ISP networks that provide MPLS and MPLS-based services.
- This VTS supports a maximum of 12 students in a single session.
The following are the prerequisites for this session:
- Experience using the Cisco IOS® Software command-line interface (CLI)
- Proficiency in routing fundamentals and IP addressing
- Proficiency in implementing and troubleshooting an Interior Gateway Protocol (preferably Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System [IS-IS] or Open Shortest Path First [OSPF]) in a large-scale hierarchical network
- Proficiency in implementing and troubleshooting Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) in a largescale
- hierarchical network
- CCNP® or the equivalent networking knowledge and experience